Consumers beware! Don't get scammed by a rogue operator posing as a mover!
In recent years, as buyers have become increasingly more dependent on the internet for information, the number of “rogue operators posing as movers” has risen dramatically both here in Maryland and across the country. Often these rogue companies lure unsuspecting moving customers by offering lowball estimates and false promises, then illegally hold a family’s goods hostage at destination until they are paid for inflated charges.
Moving is one of the most stressful events in a person’s life. How does a consumer know that the companies he or she is considering are reputable in this “buyer beware” market? Fortunately, the Maryland Movers Conference is here to help those consumers that are preparing to move.
The Maryland Movers Conference (formerly known as the Maryland Movers Council) is a specialized segment of Maryland Motor Truck Association
that represents the legitimate moving and storage industry. The Conference is comprised of more than 50 professional moving companies that move household or office goods within Maryland and across the country. Many of these Maryland moving companies also provide storage in a secure warehouse. All members of the Maryland Movers Conference must be members of Maryland Motor Truck Association. The Conference meets regularly to address industry concerns and create benefits for its members.
Maryland Movers Conference Mission Statement
The MMTA Maryland Movers Conference is a non-profit, statewide organization working with other associations, governmental authorities, and consumer groups to promote the highest standards for the moving industry in Maryland. The focus of the Conference is to:
- Serve as the state’s most reliable source in providing consumer education, information, and guidance in choosing the right mover;
- Provide additional education and training to our members; thereby promoting the highest principles of business ethics and quality of service;
- Serve as the official representative of the state’s moving industry before the Maryland General Assembly, various legislative and regulatory agencies, and the news media.
- Promote a certified standard of excellence among Maryland’s elite movers by encouraging their participation in the Conference’s Registered Mover Program; and
- Protect and preserve the positive image of Maryland’s legitimate, professional moving industry.